My Face, My Story, My World

My Face, My Story, My World
Elisha Opal Hughes

Me & Jim Ed

Me & Jim Ed
We're friends, cousins, & 8 months apart in age. We're really close! He was captain of the football team, I was captain of the Cheerleading Squad. At softball games, he was there to watch me catch, & I yelled like a man would at him at his baseball games. I consider myself his biggest fan! I love my Jim Ed. And that's how we do!

One Night In Austin

One Night In Austin
Kailea, Ally, Me & My Cousin Callie. From chips & salsa to 6th street!

My Elliott Buddies

My Elliott Buddies
Mason, Me & Mike.....These guys are the brothers I never had.

Friday, September 08, 2006

PEANUT FESTIVAL

Yo EVERYONE!
Every year during our Homecoming weekend, my town has an annual Peanut Festival. This coming October will be the 61st Celebration! It's the weekend of October 13th.

CARNIVAL
Things starts the Thursday before with a wristband carnival night. It's about 10 dollars to ride anything all night till closing time.

HOMECOMING
Friday is when the excitement arrises. The first big sign of the weekend's activities is the Homecoming Pep Rally. It's not all that great but hey, IT'S TRADITION! Friday night will be the big homecoming game which isn't big really b/c we're only 1 A.

STREET DANCE
Following the game Main Street will be taped off for a street dance. Everyone gathers to listen to music and socialize with the rest of the community and visitors.

PARADE
Go to sleep early because Saturday morning will be the Penut Festival Parade. All kind of characters will show their faces. O yeah, you will get your first glimpse of the Peanut Queen Contestants on their "theme selected floats". It's great! (I'm proud to say I particpated in this last year and won 1st place for my Dick Tracy & Tess Trueheart float!)

THE FESTIVAL
Saturday is the day you go to the park for the festival. Ride rides, play games, roam the park, listening to some bands, and most importantly EAT! Every year I get the corn on the cob. It's seasoned to perfection and so sweet! I wouldn't miss that for the world! My friend Courtney would hurt me if I didn't suggest you try the food from the Baptist Church. I think it's the turkey legs she raves about.

PEANUT QUEEN PAGEANT
After you've worn yourself out, you go home, bathe and get ready for THE PAGEANT! About 5 high school senior girls compete for the title in categories such as; Street Wear, Evening Wear, Talent, On-stage Interview. It's a great coornation and did I forget, there are plenty of acts in between to keep you on the edge of your seat. The queen is crowned!!!!!!!!!!! The Festival is pretty much over then.........So if your are interested in BIG fun in a little town, let me know. Come on, it's not a holiday???????? And it's good to try something new. Although I should warn you, Grapeland is 215 miles away, and if you plan on staying the night, I suggest Holiday Inn Express in Crockett on Loop 304. It's about 12 miles from Grapeland. I will be leaving that Friday after class is over at 12 pm.


If you are interested let me know. Pageant tickets are are available for pre-sale and are more difficult to purchase at the door. It's not that big of an auditorium/theater so seats are limited.

It's exciting! So if you have nothing to do and want to see what East Texas tradition is like, I invite you. Grapeland will embrace you as their own and would love to have you.
I wouldn't lie to you!!!!

If ANYONE is interested, comment me.... I would love to share my little town with Texas State!

No comments: